Whether you’re a professional graphic designer or a newbie, you need the best laptop for graphic design to help you with your creative process. But how do you choose the perfect tool and what should you factor in before making the big decision? We have all the answers to your questions, plus a list of hand-picked options to guide you in your quest.
Choosing the best laptop for graphic design
Here’s what you should keep an eye out for when choosing your laptop.
- RAM – tech newbies should remember that a high RAM is a must. The lowest you can go is 4 GB. Aim higher so that you can run more programs in the background. It’s not only gamers who need a lot of RAM.
- CPU – aim at a decent CPU. Ideally, opt for Intel Core i7, i5 or Haswell.
- Video Card – you can compromise on the video card and go for a cheaper alternative, but never lower your expectations for RAM.
- Screen size – if you’re not planning to get an additional monitor, you’ll want to be realistic and go big. Graphic designers require ample room to work. Just think about all the windows you’ll need to open. A 10 inch or 13-inch screen is bound to become frustrating quickly. Don’t go below 15 inches if you plan to work on the laptop on a daily basis.
- Portability – long are the days when you couldn’t work on your laptop more than one hour. Now laptops are lighter and the batteries are stronger. If you’re not particularly keen on being stuck in an office the entire day and you like working in cafes, at home and occasionally on holidays, you’ll need to factor in portability when choosing the best laptop for graphic design.
- Color quality – your line of work demands a flawless color quality. Look for IPS displays that have many more benefits over older types.
Best laptops for graphic design
Now that you know what you should take into consideration when choosing a new laptop, let’s look at a few concrete suggestions. There are plenty of options that fit various budgets, so you can choose whatever suits you on every level.
1. Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition VN7-791G-71P5 17.3-Inch Full HD Laptop
Specially created to deliver top notch performance, the Aspire V17 is the best choice is you want to splurge on a new laptop. It offers a truly unique aesthetic and it is not only perfect for graphic designers, but also for gamers. The generous 17.3-inch screen makes it perfect for work while the power is owed to the 16 GB DDR3 RAM. This mean machine comes with Windows 8.1, Intel Core i7 and a 256 GB solid state drive. The 2×2 wireless tech ensures an improved bandwidth that is superior to the standard 1×1 solutions. Scoring 4.7 stars out of 5 from 40 Amazon reviews, the Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition seems to have swept customers off their feet with an impeccable performance and jaw-dropping design.
2. Lenovo Z70 17.3 Inch Laptop (Intel Core i7, 16 GB, 1TB HDD, Black)
For all Lenovo graphic designers fans out there, the Z70 is a great choice. The 16 GB DDR3 RAM paired with Intel Core i7 and 1TB HDD Storage make for a powerful machine that delivers excellent functionality and a gorgeous design. The massive screen has a full HD resolution (1920 x 1080) and offers an amazing experience for graphic designers and any other users. Try out the immersive audio with the JBL designed built-in stereo speakers. The intelligent touchpad is fully optimized and equipped with an easy rotate, zoom and scroll, in case you forget your mouse at home. Offering two USB 2.0 ports, one USB 3.0 port and an HDMI out, the powerful Lenovo Z70 17.3 Inch Laptop easily qualifies as one of the best laptop for graphic designers out there.
3. HP ENVY 15t i7-4710HQ Quad Core Notebook Laptop PC
Lighter, more advanced and thinner, the HP ENVY 15t promises top notch quality, boasting to fit the bill both for professionals and students. With an Intel Quad Core i7 (4th generation), 8GB DDR3 of RAM, 1TB hard drive, Intel HD Graphics 4600 and a 15.6 inch diagonal, this notebook is one of the best mid-range laptops for graphic designers. Equipped with a fingerprint reader, a subwoofer, and covered by a one year warranty, this laptop ticks all the main criteria for a reliable machine.
4. Toshiba CB35-B3340 13.3 Inch Chromebook (Intel Celeron, 4GB, 16GB SSD, Silver)
Not very keen on the big screen? If you’re looking for a lightweight laptop that won’t break the bank but still allow you to do your job efficiently, you can’t go wrong with the Toshiba CB35-B3340. Despite its affordable price tag and small size, this Chromebook is powerful and packed with features. The 4 GB SDRAM memory is paired with a strong battery that promises up to nine hours of battery life. The 16 GB solid state drive ensures high speed and the 13 inch IPC screen comes with Intel HD graphics. This machine might be small, but it offers amazing sound. Needless to say, the design of the CB35-B3340 is sleek, compact and appealing. Weighing only three pounds, this Toshiba Chromebook is ideal for working on the go.